Sunday, June 04, 2006

This weekend's TV (2-4/6/06)

It's almost too facile to register my happiness that Sezer has left the Big Brother house and what that reveals about the voting public, so I won't - but I will register my surprise at his demeanour during the eviction interview. You had to forgive him a little bit for his behaviour in the house because the poor boy obviously didn't realise he was such a colossal COCK, and that's certainly no-one's fault, just a reflection of his impaired mental function. What I was also too insensitive to see when blinded by irritation was the fact that he's incredibly insecure - that all that macho bravado was premised on the unstable and hidden foundations of his own probable homosexuality. I must be losing my touch. I've always been good at picking up on those who fear to be queer in the past. But then Sezer is a chimera to me. I even thought he had charisma for about two seconds.

I'm wondering about the sense of a BB blog, you know. Not only are the rapid developments adequately covered in the Digital Spy forum and more quickly than TellyEllie, but everyone seems to have the same opinion about the housemates anyway. Largely because everyone I know is nice, hates bullies and likes funny individuals with Tourettes syndrome which only serves to enhance their funniness. I reckon I'm onto a loser. For this reason I am going to review Wilde which was on BBC2 last night, a biopic of the notorious Irish arseraider whose sodomitical exploits landed him in jail for two years. Call me grisly but I thought this period in his life might be one of the more interesting areas to explore, yet the film focuses on his relationships with Constance, his wife, and his subsequent male lovers. All very well, but there was a little bit too much, "your youth is like the golden halo of your hair", and "your body is so white, as white as the snow that blankets the mountaintop. It is studded with the flowers of your beauty" in the portrayal of Wilde's homosexual relations. The film seemed to endorse the Platonic notion of love between men surpassing the love that exists between a man and a woman, an idea which resurfaced to provide a valid excuse for those men whose sexual preference criminalised them (Wilde included). I wouldn't mind, but the representation of Constance in the film tended to portray her as silently submissive, or with babies hanging off her like possums, or sickly and pathological. Not so much mad, bad and sad as sad, sad, SAD. As such, I don't think the screenplay of Wilde resisted the narratives which produced sexual difference during the nineteeth century, narratives which saw women as more 'natural' and 'irrational' and men as more 'intellectual', thereby rendering love between men, with its basis in rationality, both better and purer. And the end was bloody awful. Loads of musical crescendoes as Oscar and Bosie clasped hands through the grate that separated them, declaring, "I love you, my darling boy! Not a day shall pass when I shall not be kept alive by the thought of your golden hair!" (There was a lot of talk of Bosie's golden hair). Anyway, it wasn't that bad. I just thought I'd expose the fact that the film didn't necessarily challenge the picture of male/male love presented by Wilde himself during his trial. It reiterated it. And I don't think that's very exciting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The secret to golden hair: lots of milky conditioner. And don't stop writing about BB - I'll have no-one to steal my opinions from.

Telly Ellie said...

Maybe Jude picked up the secret when he was hanging around with the Primrose Hill set. They're into all kinds of potions and sauces, that lot.