Saturday, July 22, 2006

Friday Night's TV (21/7/06)

As BB seemingly moves into phase II, initiated by the arrival of a whole new bunch of housemates who bring into question whether Bonnie and Sezer in fact ever existed, it is time to take a moment to reflect. Why is it I feel so disappointed this year? Why do I feel only marginally more entertained than when I watched BB4? Why, indeed, have I virtually stopped blogging when BB is one of the raison d'etres of my messages to you? I suppose sometimes that the personalities chucked into the BB house just don't work, and sometimes they just do. Imagine how awful Jason would have been without Emma and Victor to show him up, Craig without Anthony and Makosi? In BB7 there aren't many interesting interrelationships between people, and very few interesting people at all. It's not even - as people have already started to claim - because we have taken out the so-called "big personalities". There was nothing charismatic about Lea looking like a depressed tortoise, or Grace's uberbitching. Nikki's tantrums were a highlight of the series for me, but even those started to pall after time. But don't listen to people when they say BB is over. Of course it's not. The right chemistry might always be six months or a year round the corner, and any fan of Big Brother has to learn to take the rough with the smooth. With this in mind, I have compiled my favourite moments from the series so far, which all happen to come from the diary room.....

Moment number 3:- [Imogen on Lea's conversational style] It's always COCK and TITS and SPUNK
(sounds so much better when said in a Welsh accent, and when followed up with "I am SOOOO OOOver it")

Moment number 2:- [Nikki on Aisleyne] Who is she? Who IS she? Where did you FIND her? Who IS SHE??
(Nikki should be sent into schools to teach spoken English and contemporary rhetoric. I marvel at her apposite, economic use of language)

All-time favourite moment of BB7 Phase I:- [Glyn on Susie's excessive tea-drinking, and the general lack of partying and snogging] This isn't Big Brother, this is Crapland
(I couldn't have said it better myself, Glyn)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TE, I'm shocked to read you're disappointed in BB7, surely a classic year. True, it's gone on far too long and what with so many new faces late on, it's more like two different shows jimmied together (of which I much preferred the first Sezer-Grace-Lisa-Lea-Nikki-Shahbaz-Dawn segment). But surely it's better than last year, and BB4, and probably even the overrated BB2. It's maybe on par with BB5... or am I wrong?

As for my favourite moments, there are too many to list. But to start with, every time Lisa said "fuck" or any permutation of the word, every time Glyn looks gormless, every time Mikey looks lost... I especially enjoyed Richard crying in the diary room, Grace's Cabbage Patch doll arrogance glare and, on hearing of his eviction, Sezer's crestfallen face of self-doubt (sadly only momentary).

It's a classic year and you know it.

Telly Ellie said...

Ahhh, DK, DK, I'm afraid you only expose your relative newness to the whole BB phenomenon by rating it on a par with BB5 and below BB6. BB2 was a simpler age, and yet it was still more entertaining on that first year of live streaming to watch until 4 in the morning and see whether Helen and Paul were going to do "stuff", then to watch Mikey's relentless idiocy. I also don't think I've ever laughed as much as when I saw Paul claim live that he had lived his "adult life like an international pop star". There is also nothing in this year's BB to compare with the fascination caused by the disturbed psychology of last year's Craig. So - while I might have underestimated the amusement caused by Mikey the majorette in my post - I think the housemates antics outside the house have proved more interesting than their ones inside this year. Did you hear that Sezer Yurtseven has been questioned by the police about a rape on Friday morning?

It is better than BB4 though. Dissecting your own body is better than BB4.