Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tuesday Night's TV (28/3/06)

Well, not Tuesday Night's TV, in fact, because what I actually watched last night was Arsenal vs. Juventas - through no fault of my own I hasten to add - and a football match doesn't exactly warrant a critique. "Arsenal got the ball, they kicked it into a goal thereby scoring a goal, and then they did it again in the second half." Ta-da! Job done. Why, by the way, do they have to endlessly rerun the football that you've already watched in-between and after the match? You've just seen it so what is the bloody point? Anyway, whatever. The purpose of this post is first of all to redress the anti-establishment balance of my last one in which I slagged off the police force for being thick and violent. I had my own My Name is Earl-like moment the next day when I believed my car had been stolen (in fact towed away) and who did I call? Well, the rozzers, obviously. I couldn't help but feel karma making bunny ears behind my head as I thanked them profusely over the phone for being "so nice". I hope that admitting my fault will restore my karmic equilibrium and I can go back to "just trying to be a better person. My name is Ellie".

By the way, an event on America's Next Top Model three weeks ago has been playing on my mind even though I didn't mention it at the time. The models were spending the day with the Wildboyz and, at some point, one of the contestants, Lisa, donned a nappy and proceeded to urinate herself in front of everybody in the room. No-one really mentioned it at the time and I was incredibly surprised that they didn't bring it up in that week's eviction. However, the next week Lisa was eliminated for being "too much". The quiet passing over of the incident struck me. Did Tyra Banks and her crew realise that they had someone with mental problems potentially winning the show? Did they pass her into the care of a psychiatrist when she left the competition? Does anyone else agree that these were the actions of a seriously disturbed young woman or do I take things a bit too seriously? I wish I could come to terms with what I saw, but peace of mind following this particular bit of ANTM has proved elusive.

Great piece of telly started on Sunday night, TV Heaven, Telly Hell (C4), which I won't review yet because the guest was only Alan Davies and I'm sure there's going to be better people in the weeks to come. Hosted by Sean Lock (writer and actor of the incomprehensibly overlooked Fifteen Storeys, as Charlie Brooker pointed out in Screenwipe), each week somebody will outline their favourite and least favourite programmes. I hope it will be filled with famous people who'll make me feel a little better about watching telly because they too get over-involved in empty, vacuous crap and, as a consequence, reveal more about themselves than the programme in question (see above). Indeed, I felt quite uncomfortable at Davies' revelation that he likes to watch the pneumatic women on Aerobics Oz Style of a morning while in bed. That also was a bit "too much". I'm working on my own list but I'm already pretty damn sure that Children's Hospital is going to be high on the hellish column. Who ARE the people that find kids with cancer entertaining?? And don't even get me started on the coma-inducing Davina. Anyone got an axe?

No comments: