Friday, January 06, 2006

THE RETURN OF CELEBRITY BIG BROTHER!!

How fabulous. Celebrity Big Brother burst back onto our screens last night in all its technicolour glory (even Davina wasn't wearing black), and back into my life to dominate it for the next 23 days (count them, 23!!).
Celebrity BB has the quality of a late Christmas present. Just when you thought TV was settling back into it's usual humdrum routine of soaps, serials, pilots and two-part dramas, another huge reality TV event is handed to you. I was reminded of its existence a week before it began, and immediately began to get excited about the opening - teasing the edges of the wrapping and shaking the box by trawling the internet for rumours about who might take part this year. Could it be Boy George? Ana Nicole Smith? Dennis Rodman? Rodman I definitely thought was a red herring, he always seems to be touted as a possibility for celeb reality TV. I have to say I was most pleasantly surprised to see him emerge from the limo in the last quarter of the programme - he' s just so BIG!!
But this isn't a blog to discuss who's fanciable on the box (well it's not just for that), this is a serious forum for the discussion of serious TV, and if anyone wants to suggest that programmes such as BB are frivolous and indicative of the decline of civilised society I shall be pleased to engage in a debate with them about why this is completely erroneous and wrong. Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough.
In terms of the choice of celebrity contestants for this year's CBB, I have to say I felt the excitement of the unwrapping subside last night, when I saw Traci Bingham and Preston Whoever enter the compound. But they definitely saved the best till last and my jaw hit the floor when George Galloway stepped out of the car. AN MP IN BB??!! What is the man thinking? Only time will tell.
What do I think of the celebrities this year? I reserve judgment for the timebeing, I've had egg on my face too many times in the past (I thought Greer was going to be FANTASTIC). Suffice to say, I think Chantelle's going to be an amusing - can the woman work both sides of her brain at the same time? She even had to remind herself of her name several times when she found out her secret task - and the unfolding of the history of Dennis and Traci riveting - he didn't just blank her, he told her to "get away from me"! Is this related to the Carmen Electra marriage? I can hardly wait for tonight. Will Dennis have donned a dress? Will Barrymore have fallen off the wagon? Join me tomorrow and find out.......

www.channel4.com
www.digitalspy.co.uk

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greer WAS fantastic! She led a revolution in the house! Okay, she bottled it and within days had run back to Mark Lawson's chubby arms and curvy sofa to give her ill-informed and self-important opinions on the arts, but she was post-menstrually INCANDESCENT in her brief moment on CBB. Perhaps she just burned too bright...

Telly Ellie said...

I take your point, she did overthrow big brother in a manner befitting her feminist politics and in a way unthought of by any non-celeb contestants apart from perhaps Sandy in series 2 (Kitten just copied him). Yet using the fact BB as "tacky" as a reason to leave was pretty poor, the programme is surely the embodiment of tacky and she should have known this. I'd have had more respect for her if she'd said, "Big Brother is a phallocentric patriarch whose panoptic viewpoint mirrors the position of the white, middle-class, middle-aged corporate male in Western capitalist societies" and then left. Then again, she would have been aware of this before she entered the house as well, wouldn't she? She should have just consented to her oppression and got the pay cheque she came for in the first place.....

Telly Ellie said...

If Chantelle doesn't make it past Sunday - which I don't think she will - first out will be Far-EE-a just for totally absent celeb credentials. And no-one likes a snitch...

Telly Ellie said...

Or is that Maggits? I wouldn't count out Preston though. Big Brother's Past have shown the voters like male, non-offensive looking nonentities - known as 'The Kenzie Effect' or sometimes just 'The Anthony'. The women (including Pete Burns) are all car crashes and don't stand a chance.

Telly Ellie said...

Yes you're right - the GBP aren't as stupid as the producers think and Rula is the picture of poised anorexic grace and not a carcrash in the slightest, I just forgot she was in there. Which speaks for itself really. She's the spitting image of my mum and yet I can't recall her face. How do you think the GPB are going to? And yet, the victory of Bez last year proves, as you say, that it isn't Chantelle-alikes who are really voted but the ageing Generation Xers (i.e. you and I). Rula's still not going to win; like the Renaissance witch, elder women are completely exorbitant to the socio-economic structure of fame. My money's on Chantelle.