Monday, January 23, 2006

Sunday Night's TV (22/1/06)

I would like to take the opportunity to publicly retract my choices for the top 3 on BB, and for Chantelle as winner.....not going to happen. Maggot, however, is becoming a real contender. I'm too dumbfounded to comment on last night's programme. This is the most unpleasant bunch of celebs I have ever seen in one space, and I've been at the same party as Davinia Taylor, Jeremy Edwards, Will Mellor and Martine McCutcheon. So I know what I'm on about.
Watched Top of the Pops last night - I like to keep up with the kids - and was astonished to see that mid-90s cheesey housey trance (i.e. the Nightcrawlers) is making a comeback. It struck me that our constant need to relive the past in this postmodern era is making us chase our tails like dogs. In the early 90s, the 60s was revived; in the late 90s, the 70s was revived, in the early 00s, the 80s was revived; and now we're reviving the 90s. What's going to happen in five years time? Are we going to intuit what the fashion future is and revive that? A sort of cultural premonition, appropriation and revision all at the same time? We could call it a previval. At least the trendsetters will have to actually do some WORK for the first time in 20 years.
Another question plays on the mind as we hurtle towards the next decade. What snappy moniker are we going to give to the years between 2010 and 2020? They didn't have this problem in times past, because they weren't obsessed with sticking everything in a little box and giving it a label. I'm sure in 1864, people weren't saying, "I am SO glad the 1850s are over. My bum looked really big in a bustle. It's all empire line this season, very slimming." Which takes me back to the revival thing, you've got to see time as constantly ending in order to bring it back again. Our culture is littered with simulacra. Look out for the day when S Club Juniors reform. That might just be the end of history.

No comments: